The Centre d’Études Maghrébines à Tunis (CEMAT) and the Centre d’Études Maghrébines en Algérie (CEMA) are pleased to announce the 2018 Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation (HGF) Methodological and Proposal Development Training Workshop series for North African Scholars.
The two three-day workshops will bring together 12 young Algerian, Libyan, Moroccan and Tunisian scholars researching the relationship between violence and a number of areas of inquiry including social change, political action, and economic development. Selected participants will work with international experts to hone the research design on a research project in its early stages of development. While the first workshop will focus on the essential elements of research methodology and design, the second installment will revolve around, discussing ways to incorporate these essentials into the research design of individual research projects, as well as developing a proposal.
Algerian, Libyan, Moroccan and Tunisian scholars under the age of 40 working on how violence broadly intersects with the themes discussed above are strongly encouraged to apply. The workshop will be held in English.
The first workshop will take place in Tunis from January 26 – January 28, 2018. All expenses related to travel; accommodation and catering will be covered by CEMAT for selected participants
Candidate Application Deadline: December 7th, 2017
Candidate applications should include the following:
1) Research proposal: Proposals should describe the relationship between violence and a specific area of inquiry. It should highlight a research question or set of questions to be investigated. The proposal should include a brief literature review as well as research strategy to be employed in answering the question. The research proposal should be between 5-10 pages, double-spaced.
2) Completed Application Form (see below)
3) Up-to-Date Curriculum Vitae
4) Scanned passport / national identity card (that includes full name, photo, and date of birth)
5) Letter of Recommendation from an academic mentor
All documents should be written in English. Only complete applications will be considered. Please send your complete application to Yemna Aouissaoui: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection Notifications: December 20th, 2017
Download pdf: HFG 2018 Workshop Announcement